The Sacrament of Baptism is necessary for salvation and is the gateway to the life in the Spirit and the door to the other Sacraments. It is the way by which a person is freed from sins, is reborn as a child of God, is configured to Christ, is incorporated into the Church, and is made a sharer in the Church’s mission (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213).
Parents have a grave responsibility to present their infants for baptism as soon as possible, usually within the first weeks after birth. Parishes are to provide a catechetical program of instruction for parents and godparents which includes: the meaning of Baptism, the obligations attached to the Sacrament, the scriptural foundation for the Sacrament, the sacramental life of the Church, and the Rite of Baptism itself (Code of Canon Law, cann. 851 & 867; Archdiocesan Pastoral Policies Handbook, 188.8.131.52).
Preparation for Infant Baptism:
Children ages six (6) and under are considered “infants” by the Church (Code of Canon Law, can. 97.2). For the Baptism of infants, the parents, or at least one of them, are to give their consent. Furthermore, there must be a founded hope that the infant will be brought up in the Catholic religion (Code of Canon Law, can. 868).
As a rule, infants are baptized in the parish church of their parents, unless a just cause suggests otherwise (Code of Canon Law, can. 857.2). To claim St. Charles as one’s proper parish, one must either live within the parish’s territorial boundaries or be registered members of the parish for at least three (3) months. All other requests for baptism at St. Charles must have the permission of the pastor of St. Charles as well as the permission of the parent’s proper pastor (cf. Archdiocesan Pastoral Policies Handbook, 184.108.40.206.e).
Preparation Classes for Baptism are held once a month, usually on Saturday mornings. Please contact the parish office for exact dates and times.
The role of a sponsor (i.e., godparent) is to present with the parents an infant for Baptism and who will help the child to lead a Christian life in harmony with the Sacrament.
Click on the button below for detailed information about selecting godparents.
- Complete the online registration for Baptism by clicking below.
- Call the parish office to schedule your Baptism Preparation Session and to set a date for your child's Baptism.
- Baptisms are scheduled for Sunday mornings, usually after the 11:00 a.m. Mass. (Please note, occasionally, the pastor may schedule baptisms during Mass on a given week.)
- Either a parish Priest or Deacon will be the minister of the Sacrament, according to their schedule.
- Bishops, Priests, or Deacons who are relatives of the family may celebrate a Baptism at St. Charles with the pastor’s permission. This should be requested by the parents when scheduling the Baptism.