The Sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace. For by the Sacrament of Confirmation, the baptized are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Those who are confirmed are more firmly obliged to be witnesses to Christ by word and deed and to spread and defend the faith (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1285).
The faithful are obliged to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation at the appropriate time. Their parents and pastor are to see to it that young people are properly instructed to receive it (Code of Canon Law, 890). Likewise, parishes are to make suitable provision for the catechesis of the parents of those to be confirmed (Archdiocesan Pastoral Policies Handbook, 184.108.40.206.b).
Requirements to Register for Preparation for Confirmation:
At St. Charles Borromeo, our program for preparation for Confirmation includes a set of six (6) catechetical sessions for parents and youth and one (1) retreat day for those to be confirmed. The program will be offered twice each year: once in the fall and once in the spring. Confirmation will be celebrated in the spring (usually the first week of May) according to the Archbishop’s schedule.
- Child must be Catholic and is open to receiving the Sacrament.
- The preferred age for Confirmation in the Archdiocese of Omaha is between the ages of 13 (eighth-grade) and 18 (before graduation from high school). (The Church’s absolute minimum age for requesting Confirmation is age 7.)
- Child is concurrently enrolled in and attending:
- Youth Group (grades 7-12) at least twice per month or
- the monthly Family Faith Formation program (grades 1-6).
It is preferred that youth in grades 7 & 8 attend Youth Group; however, based on individual circumstances, they may instead participate in Family Faith Formation.
- Child is attending weekly Sunday Mass and knows how to participate in the celebration of the liturgy.
- If the child has not yet received the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and/or First Eucharist, he/she will be prepared for these Sacraments in addition to preparation for Confirmation according to his/her age and circumstances.
- Parent completes and submits the “Request for Sacramental Preparation” form (see buttons below) by the registration deadline along with a $20 program fee.
Dates and Times for Confirmation Preparation
2018-2019 Academic Year:
Fall Session (Registration deadline: August 1, 2018)
Classes: August 29, September 19 & 26, October 17 & 24, November 28 (Wednesdays at 5:30-7:00 p.m.)
Retreat: October 13 (Saturday at 8:30 a.m.)
Spring Session (Registration deadline: December 24, 2018)
Classes: January 22 & 29, February 19 & 26, April 16 & 23 (Tuesdays at 5:30-7:00 p.m.)
Retreat: March 9 (Saturday at 8:30 a.m.)