The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian life. At the Last Supper, our Lord Jesus Christ instituted the Eucharistic sacrifice of His Body and Blood in order to perpetuate the Sacrifice of His Cross throughout the ages until He comes again. The Lord Himself urges to receive Him in the Sacrament of the Eucharist: “Truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you” (John 6:53). To respond to this invitation, we must prepare ourselves for so great and so holy a moment (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1323, 1324, 1384 & 1385). All the faithful are bound to receive the Most Holy Eucharist at least once per year during the Easter season (Code of Canon Law, can. 920).
After a suitable period of time has passed since First Reconciliation (Archdiocesan Pastoral Policies Handbook, 188.8.131.52.a), it is the responsibility, in the first place, of parents as well as of the pastor to see that children who have reached the age of reason are correctly prepared to receive the Most Holy Eucharist. It belongs to the pastor to determine if a child is sufficiently disposed to receive his or her First Holy Communion (Code of Canon Law, can. 914).
Requirements to Register for Preparation
for First Eucharist:
At St. Charles Borromeo, our program for preparation for First Eucharist includes a set of six (6) catechetical sessions and one (1) retreat day for parents and their children. The program will be offered twice each year: once in the fall and once in the spring. First Eucharist will be celebrated at the conclusion of each program.
- Child must be Catholic and be open to receiving the Sacrament.
- Child must be at least seven (7) years old.
- Child must have already received First Reconciliation.
- Child is concurrently enrolled in and attending the monthly Family Faith Formation program with at least one parent.
- Child is attending weekly Sunday Mass with parents and knows how to participate in the celebration of the liturgy.
- Parent completes and submits the “Request for Sacramental Preparation” form (see buttons below) by the registration deadline along with a $20 program fee.
Dates and Times for First Eucharist Preparation
2018-2019 Academic Year:
Since this is the first year of our revised program for Sacramental Preparation, no fall session is available. A fall session will be available in 2019 for those children who make First Reconciliation in the spring of 2018.
Spring Session (Registration deadline: Dec 24, 2018)
Classes: January 23 & 30, February 20 & 27, April 17 & 24 (Wednesdays at 5:30-7:00 p.m.)
Retreat: March 30 (Saturday at 9:00 a.m.)
1st Communion: May 4 and 11 (Saturdays at 10:00 a.m.)